ATTENTION: Westerville Center closed until 2 p.m. More.
Future Scientists of Ohio Scholarship Program
***Application period has closed***
This scholarship, designed to support students interested in pursuing an associate degree in science, technology, engineering or mathematics will pay $1,000 in scholarship dollars over the course of two years ($500/year or $250/semester) at Columbus State Community College. Renewal for this scholarship will be provided as long as a 2.7 GPA is maintained and scholarship program requirements are upheld. Scholarship recipients will also be provided some science textbooks (eBooks). Future Scientists students can enroll in classes with other students in their cohort and will receive special faculty and advising support. Upon graduation from Columbus State with an Associate Degree in science, technology, engineering or mathematics, and upon meeting defined academic performance standards, students are guaranteed admission to transfer to The Ohio State University for completion of a Bachelor of Science Degree.
Criteria for Consideration
- Admission to Columbus State Community College
- Placement into Math 1148 and English 1100 on the college’s Compass test or Scores on the ACT of 23 composite (mathematics sub-score 22, English composition sub-score 18) or higher, or a score of 1200 or higher on the SAT
- Desire to pursue an Associate of Science degree with a concentration in science, technology, engineering or mathematics
- Must be an Ohio resident
- Successful completion of academically rigorous high school science courses, including two of the following three areas: (1) biology, (2) chemistry, (3) physics
- Successful completion of academically rigorous high school mathematics courses, including algebra, geometry and pre-calculus/trigonometry
- A cumulative high school GPA of at least a 2.7 on a 4.0 scale
Application Instructions and Checklist
The following materials must be submitted in order for an application to be considered:
____ Future Scientists of Ohio
____ Proof of placement into Math 1148 and English 1100 from the Columbus State Testing Center OR Scores on the ACT of 23 composite (mathematics sub-score 22, composition sub-score 18) or higher, or a score of 1200 or higher on the SAT
____ A 250-500 word essay describing: (1) why you want to be a part of the Future Scientists of Ohio Program (2) what your future career plans are, and (3) your ability to commit to out of class activities, such as biweekly meetings for STEM Club and campus activities.
____ A letter of recommendation from a teacher, counselor, job supervisor or anyone who can speak to the likelihood you will complete the course work required in a STEM discipline, your willingness to work both independently and cooperatively on team projects, and your willingness to accept personal responsibility for academic success. If you are unsuccessful in securing a written letter of recommendation, please provide the contact information for two high school teachers that the committee can contact on your behalf. All recommendations must include contact information (phone and email).
____ An official high school transcript
Return Completed Application by July 15, 2013 to:
Columbus State Community College
Biological & Physical Sciences Dept.
Attn: Laura Shady
P.O. Box 1609
550 East Spring Street
Columbus, Ohio 43215
No faxed copies will be accepted. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that the application is completed and submitted on time. Late and/or incomplete applications will not be considered.