ATTENTION: College closed Wednesday due to severe weather. More
Future Scientists Scholarship Program – Full Tuition for CSCC STEM Students
If you are a graduating senior interested in the fields of science, technology, engineering, math or medicine, you may be able to attend Columbus State tuition-free with the Future Scientists of Ohio Scholarship and complete the first two years of your bachelor's degree with no college debt!
Who it's for: Students who plan to get an Associate of Science degree in the Science, Technology, Engineering, Math and Medical fields and who plan to complete a Bachelor of Science degree in science, mathematics or engineering at any four-year university.
2014 High School Graduates
Deadline: April 1, 2014
Applications received by April 1 will receive priority consideration and award recipients will be notified by April 30, 2014. Applications received April 2-May 15 will be reviewed on a rolling basis and awarded as remaining scholarship funds allow. No applications will be accepted after May 14, 2014.
Scholarship Eligibility Requirements
- Be accepted to Columbus State Community College (Continue to Application).
- Students must plan to attend the STEM Summer Bridge program in order to be eligible to receive the scholarship. Summer Bridge Program info
- Take the Compass Placement Test and successfully place into Math 1148 and English 1100. (or equivalent placement by ACT scores)
- Have a high school GPA of at least a B for all academic courses.
- Demonstrate successful completion of academically rigorous high school science courses, including two of the following three: (1) a two-semester sequence in biology, (2) a two-semester sequence in chemistry, (3) a two-semester sequence in physics.
- Demonstrate successful completion of academically rigorous courses in mathematics, including algebra, geometry, and trigonometry.
- Have a composite ACT score of 23 or higher, with scores of at least 19 for English and 22 for mathematics, or an SAT score of 1200 or higher.
- Write an essay that explains (a) why the student wants to be part of this program, (b) why the student should be chosen for this program, (c) how the student’s future goals would be enhanced by participation in this program.
- Provide a letter of recommendation from a science or mathematics teacher that refers to the student’s abilities in science and a science laboratory, the likelihood of success in completing an academic degree in science, technology, engineering or mathematics, the willingness to work both independently and cooperatively in team projects, and the willingness to accept personal responsibility for his or her academic success. The letter must be on a school's letterhead and include contact information for the letter-writer (phone and e-mail).
- Candidates must be incoming students. This scholarship is not open to people who already have a college degree. It is not open to current students with 20 hours of college credit or more, unless they earned the credits through a Postsecondary Education Opportunities (PSEO) program.
- Be an Ohio resident.
- Applications must be complete, with all information received before the deadline. Deadline is April 1, 2014
- Current (within the last two semesters) CSCC student
- Associate of Science Degree student with plans to transfer to OSU and major in science, technology, engineering, mathematics or medicine
- Completion of 30 semester credit hours
- Successful completion of either English 1100
- Successful completion of 12 hours of the following: Bio 1113, 1114 or any Bio 2000 level and above. Chem 1171, 1172, or any Chem 2000 level and above. Phys 1200, 1201, 1250 & 1251. Math 1150 or above.
- Eligibility to take Math 1151 (either by placement or completion of Math 150)
- A cumulative CSCC grade point average of at least 3.0
For more information, you can contact Laura Shady at email@example.com.