Upcoming Information Sessions
Tuesday 2/17/15 5:00pm-6:00pm Union Hall 145
Wednesday 2/18/15 12:00pm-1:00pm Union Hall 145
Tuesday 3/24/15 12:00pm-1:00pm Union Hall145
Thursday 3/26/15 5:00pm-6:00pm Union Hall 145
Tuesday 4/7/15 5:00pm-6:00pm Union Hall 145
Thursday 4/9/15 12:00pm-1:00pm Union Hall 145
Tuesday 4/28/15 12:00pm-1:00pm Union Hall 145
Thursday 4/30/15 5:00pm-6:00pm Union Hall 145
"By the time you're in there for your second year, things come so naturally."
In September 1997, the Massage Therapy Program (Certificate Program) began at Columbus
State Community College. In August 1999, the Ohio Board of Regents approved an Associates
of Applied Science in Massage Therapy. The first class of graduates from the Associates
of Applied Science degree program consisted of four students in September 2000.
Successful completion of the Massage Therapy Program meets all requirements for graduates
to sit for the Massage & Bodywork Licensing Examination (MBLEx) for massage therapy
given by the Federation of State Massage Therapy Boards (FSMTB). A passing score on
the MBLEx allows the graduate to apply for a license to practice massage therapy in
Ohio via the State Medical Board of Ohio (SMBO). In Ohio, licensure from the SMBO
is required for massage therapy employment.
Since January 2012 when Ohio adopted the MBLEx as its licensure exam, 98% of Columbus State Community College – Massage Therapy Program graduates that have
taken the exam, have passed on their first attempt. The pass-rate currently for the
State of Ohio is 82% and the national pass-rate is 72%.
The program prepares students for careers in the massage therapy field including health
and fitness environments, salon and day spas, medical offices, private practices,
and many other areas of opportunity. The Massage Therapy Program is part of Allied
Health Professions under the direction of Dr. Connie Grossman in the Health & Human
Rick Greely, MEd, LMT - Program Coordinator/Faculty Adviser
Stan Williams, MA, LMT - Teaching Assistant/Intake Coordinator
Vincent Cocozza, AAS - Office Associate, Allied Health Professions
Massage Therapy Program Outcomes
Upon completion of the Certificate Program or the Associate of Technical Studies Degree
in Massage Therapy/Entrepreneurship, the student will be able to:
- Demonstrate and be able to perform soft tissue manipulation techniques which may be
appropriate for the use in the treatment of disorders of the human body.
- Effectively communicate the beneficial effects of massage to patients.
- Demonstrate the ability to assess and appropriately treat disorders of the human body,
which may benefit from massage.
- Display an understanding and demonstrate the ability to establish and maintain appropriate
patient and business records.
- Display an understanding of skills necessary to establish and operate a massage therapy
practice, or integrate into a multi-disciplinary environment.
- Demonstrate the ability to communicate effectively with other health care providers
as to the advisability of massage.
- Display an understanding of and demonstrate the effective use of complementary therapeutic
modalities in the treatment of ailments of the human body.
- Display an understanding of, and effectively educate patients in the proper care and
prevention of musculoskeletal injuries.
- Demonstrate the ability to provide therapeutic massage in accordance with the State
Medical Board of Ohio scope of practice and the professional ethical standards as
determined by the American Massage Therapy Association.