ATTENTION: Westerville Center closed until 2 p.m. More.
The only time a test can be a trial is when you are not prepared. Here are some tips on how to do well on the COMPASS Placement Test.
Before the Test
- Start reviewing for the test.
- Review for several short periods rather than one long period. You will find that you retain information better and get less fatigued.
- Decide on a Testing Center location and check the hours of operation.
Plan to arrive early.
Make time allowances for traffic and parking.
- Get enough rest.
- Eat a well-balanced meal.
- Use the restroom.
- Bring an official picture ID with you.
- Turn off your cell phone and any electronic devices.
During the Test
- Only testing materials are allowed on your desk.
- Read the testing directions carefully and understand the practice test.
- When taking the multiple choice test, eliminate the options you know to be incorrect and focus on only those that make sense.
- Take your time and do not rush. Your scores will determine your course placement.
- If you do not know the answer to a question, make an educated guess.
- If you have any questions, please see the staff.
- If writing the ESL essay, organize your thoughts in an outline format before writing your paragraph. Be sure to write legibly and review what you have written before submitting your essay.
- Do your best.
See Preparing for the COMPASS Placement Test to review Helpful Test Preparation Sites.