Nine tips can help you start the semester right
Start your fall semester out right with these nine easy tips:
- Communicate with your professor. Professors can explain something differently if you didn’t catch it the first time.
That’s especially important for an online course: Participate in Blackboard conversations
early and often.
- Find a good place to study on campus. There are tons of great spots to go over your notes or read your textbook
without the distractions of home (Housework, family, Duck Dynasty, etc.)
- Identify the help you'll need. If you need help with academic issues, make an appointment with Advising Services. Check with Financial Aid to clear up any issues with your funding.
- Consider Tutoring. We have free tutoring in lots of subjects, like English, math, science and economics.
Go early; don’t wait for midterms.
- Become a master of time. Schoolwork isn’t the hard part for many Columbus State students, the problem is
finding the time. Here’s a Time Management Plan to help figure out where the time goes.
- Join a study group -- or start one yourself. Many classes also offer Supplemental Instruction, which
is a student-led study group. You’ll definitely want to take advantage of that.
- Group project? Don’t be “that guy.” You know the guy we’re talking about. Don’t be that guy.
- Slow and steady. Keep up on regular assignments and chip away steadily at major projects. You don’t
want that stuff piling up at the end of the class.
- It’s up to you. Be proactive in planning your schedule, knowing your deadlines and learning your degree requirements. We’re
here to help, but at the end of the day, it’s your education.
Need some more tips? Check out these useful resources from Advising Services, or attend a BLUEPrint success workshop.
How will YOU make history?
In case you hadn’t heard, Fall Semester 2013 is the 50th anniversary of Columbus State Community College! The very first classes were held
at the Columbus Area Technician School—which was called “CATS” for short—back on September
Columbus State will celebrate its 50th year for the next 12 months, and you can participate in many ways. We’d like to hear
how you plan to “make history” at Columbus State! Will you open your own business?
Invent a new product? Travel abroad? Teach our youth? Save lives? Where will your
career and your dreams take you in the future?
Go to the second floor of the Library, where you’ll see a history exhibit that includes
an interactive board for students. You can fill out a card telling us how you’ll make
history, and post it on the magnetic board. If you detach the personal info card and
put it in the box, we’ll send you an Anniversary T-shirt!
And stay tuned for the big 50th Birthday Party to be held Monday, September 30! It will be a day-long celebration
with contests, music, giveaways, promotions, and of course, birthday cake!
Columbus State students invited to DeVry Career and Internship Fair
Talk to employers about full-time and part-time employment opportunities at the DeVry
University Career and Internship Fair, Wednesday, September 25, from 3:00 to 6:00 p.m. at the DeVry Columbus Campus, 1350 Alum Creek Drive, in the
Lower Campus Center. Professional dress is required.
Learn about local career and internship opportunities. More than 50 companies have
reserved space including multiple departments from the State of Ohio, Nationwide Insurance,
Emerson Network Power, CareWorks Technologies, KEMBA Financial Credit Union, Leading
EDJE, Stanley Electric, River Consulting, Status Solutions and many more. A complete
and most current list of employers is posted on the Career Services website.
Register online at http://www.cols.devry.edu/career_fairs.html. Contact DeVry Career Services at (614)253-1713 with any questions.
Need to pick a major? Attend the “Major Fairs”
New students and undecided majors can find out more about the hundreds of majors and
degrees offered at Columbus State by attending one (or more) of the “Major Fairs,”
starting in early September. At the Major Fairs, you can explore Columbus State’s
programs of study, meet the faculty, find out what it takes to complete your degree,
and explore career opportunities in each field of study. The Major Fairs are free
and open to all students. The schedule is as follows:
Health Major Fair - Your prescription for a healthy career!
Wednesday, September 4, 11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m., Nestor Hall Lounge
Business Major Fair - Take care of business!
Wednesday, September 11, 11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. Nestor Hall Lounge
Information Technology Major Fair - Go for IT!
Wednesday, September 18, 11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. Nestor Hall Lounge
Engineering Major Fair - Rev up your earning power!
Wednesday, September 25, 11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. Nestor Hall Lounge
Don't miss important activities- Check the calendar!
Lots more activities and events can be found on the Columbus State Activities Calendar: http://www.cscc.edu/campus-life/calendar.shtml/
Autumn Semester 2013 Archives:
Summer Semester 2013 Archives
Spring Semester 2013 Archives
Autumn Semester 2012 Archives