Dublin classes resumed at 3:30 p.m., following a power outage. More
Students seeking admission into the Early Childhood Development and Education Program to pursue an Associate of Applied Science degree must first be admitted to the college through Records and Registration.
Conditional Acceptance to the ECDE Program (Pre-ECDE status)
Before students are eligible to register for any ECDE courses the following must be completed:
1. Apply to Columbus State.
2. Complete appropriate Placement Testing. COMPASS Placement Test for reading, writing skills and math must be taken. Placement into ENGL 1100 Composition I or completion of ENG 1099 Composition Workshop is required prior to enrollment in any ECDE course. Additionally, students must place beyond 'Reading Required' on the COMPASS test.
2. Students transferring from another college should follow admissions procedures as published in the current College Catalog. Records and Registration will review college transcripts for transfer of General and Basic courses. Courses in which students have earned a "C" or better will be considered for transfer (K) credit. The student's assigned ECDE advisor will review early childhood courses for transfer into ECDE. Students will be asked to supply course descriptions and course syllabi to facilitate the evaluation of transfer credit for ECDE courses. This process should begin as soon as possible to prevent duplication of course work.
Please note: Students who have a conviction of a prohibited offense may not qualify to work with young children. If you have questions regarding this, please see the ECDE Practicum Coordinator.
Formal Acceptance to the ECDE Program as of Autumn 2016
Formal acceptance into the ECDE program will be completed by the student's permanent advisor at the student's request.
1. Students must have completed the following courses with a grade of 'C' or higher:
- ECDE 1101 (or 1001) Early Childhood Curriculum
- ECDE 1105 (or 1005) Social Emotional Development & Curriculum
- ECDE 1108 (or 1008) Creative Curriculum
- ECDE 1109 (or 1009) Language & Literacy
- ECDE 2010 Infant Toddler Curriculum
- ENG 1100 Composition I
- PSY 1100 Introduction to Psychology
- PSY 2261 Child Development
2. Students must have an overall grade point average of 2.0 or higher, a non-technical GPA of 2.0 or higher, and a technical GPA of 2.0 or higher.
Please note: If a student drops below an overall or technical GPA of 2.0, the student will be removed from the ECDE program and put back into a pre-ECDE status. The student will not be able to continue in the ECDE program until the GPA's are above a 2.0.